Test of Proficiency in Korean, Level 6

I took the Test of Proficiency in Korean (TOPIK) last month and I passed at the top level, which is Level 6. This test is the leading Korean counterpart to the various standardized tests non-English speakers take to prove their ability in English, such as the TOEFL and TOEIC tests.

8-10-2011 4-52-42 PM

[April 24, 2013 – I finally downloaded and printed out the full certificate. Here it is.]

Untitled

13 Responses

1. Charles says:

Wow! Congratulations! I’ve been trying to make time to study for this exam as well.

2. Thanks, Charles. Yeah, having a certification under your belt will be a big step in the right direction for a resume in Korea. Good luck on that!

3. MD. HAFIZUR RAHMAN says:

Congratulation Steven Bammel.
    I came to South Korea on 23rd march 2011 under EPS. I also want to learn korean language very well & want to participate in TOPIK. I need your suggestion how I can learn korean language properly within a short period of time & get a good score.
    Thanks. Waiting for your nice reply with suggestion.
    Best Regards,
    MD. HAFIZUR RAHMAN
    hafiz_stat_ru@yahoo.com
    01072645432

4. Md. Hafizur Rahman – Thank you for the message. I encourage you to refer to the resources at this link: http://www.koreabusinesscentral.com/page/topic-central-learn-korean
    You should not expect that there is any Korean learning method which will work within a short period of time; learning Korean is very hard and it takes years or hard study.
    Good luck!

5. Ling says:

Hi, I came across your blog while trying to figure how to get the official TOPIK certificate. I’ve taken the test last September and past with Level 4, but I’m still yet to receive the certificate. May I ask if you’ve gotten yours? Did you apply for the certificate online, or would NIIED post the hardcopy to you without applying? Thanks in advance!

6. Congratulations on the Level 4. That’s very good! I’m afraid I don’t remember exactly how I went through the process to get my certificate, but I do remember that the information was available at http://www.topik.go.kr/. You’ll have to log in for the full details. Good luck!

7. Chris says:

Hi! I’m taking S-TOPIK test next month but do you remember if there was any break during the test?
    Also, were you allowed to use any erasers?
    I heard your not allowed to so i was wondering how you can erase your answers and stuff.
    Last but not least, when u take the test, do you advice us to circle answers or bubble in the answers for every question or would it take away too much time?
    Thanks!

8. Chris says:

I just have one more question.
    Lets say you finish the writing section of the test and you still have time.
    can you continue on to the reading?

9. The S-TOPIK is the easy version of the TOPIK, right? If I recall, we had one break in the middle. The pen for marking can’t be erased but I’m told the proctors have some kind of tape for covering it over. Anyway, just write your answers in the booklet first and then, when you’ve got ten minutes to go, start transferring the answers back. If you know the answers, you should bubble them in; if not, guess.

10. I don’t actually remember. Sorry.

11. tunali_f@hotmail.com says:

Hi Mr. Bammel,
    I have problem to print out my certificate. I could check my results however couldn’t download or print out the certificate as yours. Actually I am beginner and can’t understand all the site also, I made a search from internet to solve this problem and find your page. Could you help me? I put my all info, then click 성적확인‏. But there is no any new page, just stay as it is.

12. Hana S says:

Hi Steven~
    TOPIK LEVEL 6!! WOW that is amazing 😀
    I am currently a 3rd year college student and have been learning Korean through self -study/ textbooks/ CDs/ online/ offline language exchanges/ Lang-8 Website Ect
    I was just wondering how long did it take you to pass LEVEL 6 and how long have you been learning/ speaking the language and living in Korea before you got to that stage?
    I know that it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to get to fluency ~ I am not looking for a quick and easy way just genuinely curious how much work and exposure and practice might be needed..
    Have you taken any intensive classes within Korea and found them helpful? I’ve heard that YONSEI has a 2.5 year intensive program that helps students go from 0 to passng Level 5 Topik
    Thanks, Hana

13. Thanks, Hana. I’ve been in Korea a long time but there are those who reach Level 6 with 3-4 years of hard study in Korea. It’s great that you’ve started studying at home, but eventually you’ll need to come to Korea in order to move far. Yonsei has a well-known program and I’d recommend it, though it’s not necessary. Other than a semester of evening classes at Ehwa Woman’s University many years ago, I did all of my learning independently. Good luck!